Search This Blog

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Orzo to Die For


I probably watch way too much food TV.  If I’m not watching Rachael Ray demonstrate how to make a week of meals in a day or Bobby Flay throwing down against someone, I’m probably watching Guy Fieri tour America’s Diners, Drive-ins & Dives or a group of 4 chefs trying not to get Chopped.  The other day I caught an episode of one of Rachael Ray’s shows where she made this tasty looking Orzo dish.  While I thought it looked really tasty as she served it, I can’t resist tinkering & added my own little touch.   The result was a huge hit with my family.  I forgot to take a picture of the dish I made, so the picture included here is from Rachael’s website. 
 Orzo with Feta and Tomatoes
Orzo with Feta and Tomatoes

To get the original recipe, visit http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=2248

Here is my variation, which is increased to feed a larger group of 8, instead of the original 4 servings.

Ingredients

1 lb        Orzo
              Salt
1 bag     Fresh Baby Spinach
4 Tbsp   Butter
2 Cups   Crumbled Feta Cheese
              Chopped Fresh Parsley Leaves
1 pint     Grape Tomatoes, Halved

Bring a large sauce pot of salted water to a boil & cook Orzo according to package directions.  About 1 minute before pasta will be done, stir in spinach to wilt.  Drain pasta & spinach

In same pot, melt butter.  Add feta, and cook over low heat until cheese begins to melt.  Toss cooked orzo with feta butter & parsley until orzo is well coated.  Stir in tomatoes & serve warm.

I wasn’t sure if this would be as good the second day, reheated in the microwave, but it is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment